So, the day after Windows 8 was released to customers the deployment tools are also released. You can download it from here and you also need either the “old” WAIK or the new ADK, which you can download here. Upgrading are supported and it works, kind of. Any kind of wizard customization will be lost and you need to create that once more but there is one thing that you should have in mind and that is the Task Sequences them self, they are not upgraded, they are kept and that’s ok, but it might be a better idea to re-create them since they the will take benefit of all the new features, otherwise that step will missing. So, I suggest that you re-create the task sequences to gain full benefit from the update. So What’s new?, easy, there is a list here (not all but most important things)
- Added support for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.
- Support for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1 CTP: Added support in MDT for deploying Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 with Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 CTP, while supporting all new Configuration Manager functionality (offline BitLocker, UEFI, and Assessment and Deployment Kit).
- Support for DaRT 8 Beta: Updated MDT to support DaRT 8 for Windows 8 deployments, while continuing to support DaRT 7 for Windows 7 deployments. Added DaRT support for Configuration Manager scenarios.
- New “Build Your Own Pages” User-Driven Installation (UDI) feature: Enhanced the UDI wizard and designer to enable IT pros to design their own wizard pages with little effort.
- New System Center 2012 – Orchestrator support: Provided the ability to add steps into an OS deployment task sequence to execute Orchestrator runbooks as part of the deployment process.
- Other improvements: Added support for Windows PowerShell 3.0, reworked Roles and Features installation logic for Windows 8, improved “boot from VHD” deployment scenarios, and added support for Configuration Manager monitoring
And by the way, Deployment Fundamentals Volume 4 is getting closer, the last two weeks Johan and I have been working on the book, now we just need to replace all the pictures in the book to match the current release of software…